I'm sitting here with my steamy cup of coffee in a Christmas mug, the tree prettily lit and the yard a hazy, overcast glow of rain soak-ed-ness, listening as baby is asleep in my bed all peacefully and a little feverish... and reading a Facebook full of anti-A&E sentiments in support of Phil somebody from Duck Dynasty.
Sigh. I didn't want to get into this, and I refuse to do so on FB (though I did comment on one or two good articles and nearly got sucked into a debate with a friend of a friend). So, I'm going to do so on my blog... which few people read and even fewer care what I say on here.
Phil can say whatever wherever whenever he wants. He said some anti-gay things (I'm sure he's officially homophobic now). I agree that Christians are far too afraid to speak out about their beliefs and issues that affect us, however when we do we're supposed to do so in love. Phil ranted about how vaginas are more appealing than anuses and continued on with similarly enlightening statements. When I finally was able to find an article that repeated what he had said I was aghast. I'm sorry, but I have gay and lesbian friends... I love them the same as I love those living with their partners unmarried and those who have kids out of wedlock etc. I don't hate them, I don't even judge them anymore and have done my fair share of such things. I'm pretty sure if Jesus were on the interview panel with the Duck Dynasty guy a few days ago He wouldn't have said or condoned what Phil said. He probably would have written off Phil along with the Pharisees.
Now, I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain that we're supposed to love and accept everyone. That doesn't mean we aren't supposed to bring forward sins, but someone who isn't a Christian and believes their right is not going to be convicted of their sin because you tell them they're sinning. They're only going to be pushed further away and that's certainly not the end goal.
A final thought on A&E's behalf... They're a privately owned company who can do as they like. They have as much right to can Phil as he does to rant about sex publicly. When you're hired by a company, you're supposed to reflect that company in a positive light... every business I've worked for has that somewhere in the company contracts and handbooks. Rantings against individuals doesn't exactly positively reflect anything, certainly not the company and less so Christianity. I support A&E's right to fire Phil... they know they're going to lose viewers, but they don't want the biggest name on their network representing hate. I also support Phil's right to spout off hate to whomever though I wish he wouldn't.
I'll be heading back to my Facebook filled with pro-Phil sentiments and Hate Speech toward A&E now... I'll remain utterly disgusted that people jump on the bandwagon instead of rationally thinking through the situation and who was right here, who was wrong here... I'll remain as silent as possible and try to be Christmas-y. Tis the Season to hate and slander... fa-la-la-la-la... la la... la... laaaaa.
A decent (tho' somewhat wordy) article from someone on the "other side":
ReplyDeletehttp://ideas.time.com/2013/12/19/the-duck-dynasty-fiasco-says-more-about-our-bigotry-than-phils/#ixzz2nx7BP92e
I liked that article... and I don't often like such articles haha. thank you
DeleteOk, here's my LAST submission - its short. (Sorry about the annoying ad.)
Deletehttp://eaglerising.com/3732/gay-liberal-feminist-defends-duck-dynasty/
Wait, so no more duck dynesty? Could we be so blessed?!
ReplyDeleteDoubt it.... it makes millions and has a gargantuan fan base... someone will pick them up. Point is love and understanding.
Delete